Wednesday, February 18, 2009

March Artist: Time for Art

Isn’t it strange how the passage of time can feel fast or slow depending on what’s going on in your life? Uncomfortable moments can seem like they’ll never end, while a series of years can appear to fly by in moments.

As a senior at Edgewood College about to step into the “real world,” time is likely moving at a good clip for Emily Rausch right now. Fortunately, the student artist was able to pause for a few minutes to discuss her new show, Time is Pear-Shaped, which runs March 15 to April 3 at Edgewood’s DeRicci Gallery.


How did you become an artist?

I have always enjoyed art since as far back as I can remember. I have played with many different media throughout the years, but in high school I found a love for graphic design, which is what I am majoring in with a minor in art.


What type of art are you drawn to create?

I tend to look at things from a different perspective and I want others to see how I perceive the world. Photography and acrylics are what I consider my two best media to help me share my views. I am inspired by Pop art, particularly Roy Lichtenstein, and Surrealism, especially René Magritte. I haven’t been able to pin myself down to one genre, but if you look closely you can see influences from my inspirations.

How did the idea of time become part of your work?

Thinking about art in general, I noticed how all works are just moments captured in time. All of my works focus on an aspect of time, whether it is a snap of a shutter, a stroke of a paintbrush or a scrawl from a pencil. I truly believe that artists strive to capture something powerful in their frozen frames.


Tell me about the Time is Pear-Shaped show. What’s in it and how did it come about?

My show is a retrospective of my student art career at Edgewood College. The show contains a mix of my favorite media including photography, paint and a variety of common everyday objects. My show is titled from my main piece, “Time is Pear-Shaped.” I feel that this piece gives the illusion of time as something out of the ordinary and I think it accomplishes my goal of showing my perspective on how I see the world. I hope the audience will be able to follow my creative thought process.

What do you hope people get from seeing your work?

I hope people get to see that I am not tied down to one medium, I create pieces from all artistic areas that I have learned at Edgewood College, including 2D, 3D and graphic design. Showing my creativity and my ability to think outside the box is important to me.
I am willing to experiment with art and try anything once to see where it can take me. I hope people have a fun experience at my show.


What’s next for you?

I graduate from Edgewood this May and will soon begin my search for a job. I am curious to see where art will take me.

Images are courtesy of Emily Rausch.


IN THE MAGAZINE: The March issue of Madison Magazine comes out tomorrow. Here’s some of the arts content you’ll find within the pages:
• A profile on Paddy and Otehlia Cassidy of West African Dance of Madison, or WADOMA.
• A poem by Sarah Busse.
• Our monthly Overtones section with picks on the can’t-miss performances, concerts and exhibits taking place in March.

No comments: